Women's Soccer

SU loses 4-0 to Virginia, finishes winless in ACC play

Sadie Jones | Contributing Photogarapher

An injury-plagued Syracuse team held Virginia scoreless through 39 minutes before its lack of depth gave way in an eventual 4-0 loss.

Syracuse’s match against Virginia went just like almost every other game of its 2023 season.

The team started off in a tight battle. Offensively it created opportunities but never finished the job. Defensively, it was on its heels, holding on by a thread due to goalie Shea Vanderbosch’s heroics.

Eventually, the Cavaliers broke through before the half and then proceeded to pile on the goals as SU’s fragile backline gave way.

In its final regular season game, Syracuse (2-14-2, 0-9-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) lost 4-0 to Virginia (8-3-6, 3-3-4 ACC). The loss served as a microcosm of the Orange’s winless year. Throughout the majority of the first half, Syracuse did well to stick with the Cavaliers but splintered right before halftime. With limited numbers off of the bench, a weary, injury-plagued SU team just couldn’t keep up.

With just over five minutes left in the first half, SU’s midfielders were caught behind the play. After crossing the ball from the left outside back to the center back then to the right back, Virginia’s switch of the field caught a visibly tired Erin Flurey by surprise.

UVA’s Kiki Maki received the ball at midfield with 30 yards of green grass in front of her. Maki dribbled through the open window before Flurey arrived to challenge. But Maki evaded the tackle attempt by playing a pass to Jill Flammia.

Flammia turned and made an unmarked beeline to net. She danced past SU’s Grace Gillard deep inside the 18-yard box, cut inside onto her left foot and fired a shot into the bottom left corner of the goal, giving the Cavaliers a lead they would not surrender.

The Orange had fought throughout the half, but much like multiple other games during the season, they run out of gas way too early to compete throughout the full-90.

On Sept. 21, SU led No. 3 Florida State 2-1 at halftime, but a second half collapse resulted in the Orange losing 3-2. On Sept. 30 against Clemson, SU trailed 2-1 through the first 45 minutes but gave up three second half goals to fall 5-1. Facing Louisville on Oct. 8, the Orange held the Cardinals scoreless in the first half, but eventually allowed two goals in a 2-1 defeat.

“We’re in the best league in the United States and it’s unforgiving,” head coach Nicky Thrasher-Adams said. “I don’t think any team in the ACC can win and go deep with 13 or 14 players. It’s impossible.”

Virginia used 10 bench players to Syracuse’s five. Due to a lack of availability due to prior injury, SU was unable to match up with the Cavaliers as the game went on. While Syracuse’s starters lacked energy, Virginia continued to rotate its players, allowing for better bursts of energy.

Due to the lack of energy among her backline, Vanderbosch was put on an island, facing 32 shots and allowing four goals. Her five saves, however, barred a potentially far more embarrasing scoreline.

Chasing an opportunity to make the most single-season saves in program history, Vanderbosch entered Thursday night’s game with 124 saves through 17 regular season games, 14 shy of tying the record set by Katie Karlander in 2000. Though she finished nine short, Vanderbosch’s sophomore campaign displayed an irreplaceable talent for SU between the posts.

“I’ve said it all year that Shea is regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in the nation,” Thrasher-Adams said. “What she’s done this season knowing the inconsistencies in front of her with personnel changes and lineup changes… I give her a lot of credit for battling and keeping us in a lot of games.”

Despite Vanderbosch’s stellar play, Syracuse finished its 2023 winless in ACC play, going 0-9-1 with the lone tie coming against Wake Forest. It’s the second time in the last three years that the program has not won a game in conference play.

While the team struggled mightily in 2023, Seniors Kate Murphy, Aysia Cobb, and Zoe Van de Cloot will all return for their fifth year with the team. Thrasher-Adams sees a promising future ahead with much of the nucleus returning with another year of ACC experience under their belt.

In the team huddle after the game, Thrasher-Adams shared her positive beliefs for the future with her team.

“I told them we need to look at this season as purely gaining experience because we are so young,” Thrasher-Adams said. “We go into the spring with every single person having ACC experience now.”