Women's Soccer

Corner kicks propel Syracuse to 2-0 win over Fairleigh Dickinson in season-opener

Courtesy of SU Athletic Communications

The Orange limited the Knights’ shots on goal to six.

After 52 scoreless minutes, a Syracuse corner kick sailed into Fairleigh Dickinson’s box. Heads rose up and bodies collided, creating a dogpile that pinned Telly Vunipola to the ground. A whistle put Vunipola up for a penalty kick. The midfielder then dusted herself off, lined up the shot and rifled the ball into the back of the net.

Her teammates mobbed her. It was Syracuse’s first goal of the season, their first one in front of fans since 2019 and Vunipola’s first goal after transferring to Syracuse last season.

In their first game of the 2021 season, Syracuse (1-0) used corner kicks to maintain its offense and generate goals to complete a 2-0 shutout against FDU (0-2). For much of the season-opening game, the Orange maintained possession through the midfield — SU head coach Nicky Adams’ playstyle — and stuck on the Knights’ side of the field. The Orange limited the Knights’ shots on goal to six and had 13 corners throughout the game — over triple the amount of FDU.

“I really like the opportunities we’re creating. The next step is finishing,” Adams said. “But (getting) that first win is always big time.”

Although Syracuse primarily maintained possession of the ball during the first half, neither team could create any offense. There were chances, though. Within the first four minutes of the game, Meghan Root crossed a ball into FDU’s box, only for SU to turn it over. A few minutes later, Syracuse had the ball again, with Koby Commandant feeding the ball to a streaking Vunipola, resulting in the same turnout. The Orange kicked six times at the Knights’ goal in the first half and never capitalized.

From her sideline chair, Adams called out for the midfield and forwards to aim for the corners because FDU defenders gave SU enough width on the outside, she said postgame. Using set pieces to make offense is something Adams has been working on with players. Syracuse racked up six corners throughout the first half, but the ball either sailed out of bounds or missed Jenna Tivnan’s head, a player Adams considers one of the best while airborne.

“Jenna is fantastic in the air,” Adams said. “So if you’re going to give us (corners), let’s beat them on the outside and try to win a corner at least and then get Jenna up to help us solidify it.”

In the second half, one of those corners paid off and initiated Vunipola’s penalty kick. As the clock ticked down from seven minutes, Syracuse scored an insurance goal when Vunipola advanced the ball up to Ashley Rauch, who beat her defender. Rauch then cocked back her left foot and struck the ball into the right corner.

As Adams’ program evolves, so does the team’s culture and playstyle. Fifteen of the roster’s current players are in their first season at Syracuse, including Vunipola, who was recruited through the transfer portal, and Rauch, who was recruited out of high school.

After coming off the worst season in program history, one in which Syracuse played against solely conference opponents, SU will play against non-conference opponents for the first half of the season before entering Atlantic Coast Conference play. With Adams entering her third year at the helm, she’s finally able to have a team that matches her coaching style. Through using midfield possession and set pieces, Sunday was an example of that.

“It just feels amazing,” Tivnan said. “This is a totally new year, totally new team, basically a whole new culture.”