SUNY-ESF

SUNY-ESF’s Undergraduate Student Association commends efforts from administration

Administration has been more visible on campus and transparency has increased, according to the resolution.

SUNY-ESF’s Undergraduate Student Association commended administration and faculty for efforts toward campus reconciliation in a statement released Thursday night.

USA said the administration has been more visible on campus and at events and increased transparency through weekly email updates. There have also been reports of a decrease in discussion of campus tensions or more positive framing of tensions in classroom settings, the resolution stated.

USA’s original resolution, passed by the student governing body in February, said the organization would review the administration’s responses and “reassess the campus climate” by March 1. The resolution called for the administration to clarify its vision for major academic strategic plans and increase communication among students, faculty, staff and administration.

“A large majority of the feedback received from both groups was positive in message and tone, and reflected an attitude of optimism for the direction of our campus’ internal relations,” USA said in the resolution.

The student body also acknowledged the recent resolutions passed by the SUNY-ESF Academic Governance body and UUP, the faculty union, and urged the administration to “recognize and respond” to concerns from students, faculty and staff.

In early January, the administration abruptly dismissed three department chairs, igniting responses from students and faculty. The university’s Academic Governance body also voted to remove the chair of its body, Klaus Döelle, according to an email obtained by The Daily Orange on Feb. 28.