Technology column

Beat the post-grad job interview blues with these simple tips

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator

For Syracuse University students on the hunt for a summer internship or a job after graduation, application season is in full swing.

Ten years ago, your cover letter and resume would’ve been the make-or-break of whether you were hired. And with the convergence of social networking and the workplace, your digital presence is just as influential of a factor. Here are key tips and tricks to put your best digital foot forward for the next hiring call you see.

Cover letter and resume

Your cover letter is your potential employer’s first impression of you. If your writing here is discouraging, don’t bother submitting your resume. Taking the time to polish your cover letter will help it stand out among the pile of resumes sitting on a recruiter’s desk.

The key to writing an exceptional cover letter is customizing it for every internship and job you apply for. While this may seem tedious at first, it’s essential you make the cover letter original so recruiters remember your application among the rest.

Interview

If you’ve made it to the interview round, it’s time to make your personality and credentials shine in the digital sphere. With virtual interviews growing more popular, you must present your best side through your computer screen.

Practice answering questions on your webcam so you don’t panic when the interview comes. Recruiters understand that you may have technical issues now and then, so it’s perfectly fine to use an earpiece or earphones to enhance your interview experience.

LinkedIn

You’ll want to make sure your online presence and personality match the job you’re applying for, and both should be demonstrated through your LinkedIn profile. This means including non-traditional university accomplishments, including extracurricular activities, along with job experience.

On LinkedIn, don’t hesitate to reach out to alumni or your peers for further connections. To boost your digital presence and networking opportunities, join groups like the Syracuse University Alumni Group.

In conclusion

Refining your cover letter, LinkedIn and interviewing skills are essential to getting an employer to even consider you. If you stick to these tips, you’ll be one step closer to your dream job or internship.

Eldon Tsoi is a freshman information management technology major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at eltsoi@syr.edu.